Week 8 Review
- 2 losses by a total of 3 points for Eden Prairie last week to high quality opponents De La Salle and Wayzata. Eagles are now 6-8.
- Totino-Grace loses 3 in a row last week. That included a home loss to Park Center and a Saturday afternoon upset at White Bear Lake. Eagles reeling right now and they go to Osseo and Elk River this week. Ouch
- Great week for Benilde-St. Margaret's coming from 17 down to beat Chaska and then winning a 1 point game at Jefferson.
- Great statement week for Osseo with a big comeback at Armstrong and then beating Champlin Park on the road. 2 totally different games within the Champlin Park game with Kameron Bettie dominating during Theo John's foul trouble. They will likely be #4 in this week's poll.
- Interesting week for Shakopee going into Lakeville South and losing by 18, but they get 30 from Steffon Mitchell to win a thriller at Lakeville North on Friday.
- Mounds View loses at CDH and then Woodbury takes it to them by 26. Just wondering if Mounds View can get enough offense from people other than Nate Albers. That win puts Woodbury solidly in 2nd in the Suburban East.
- Jimmy Vollbrecht with a school record 47 for Jordan in their win over SW Christian.
- Minneapolis South is that team that jumps up and bites you. They beat Edina by 7 on Tuesday. The Tigers have 10 of their 14 games decided by 8 points or less.
Here's 6 teams that have a tough week ahead
- #3AAAA Maple Grove
- St. Louis Park
- #1AAAA Apple Valley
- Brooklyn Center
- #1A North at #8AAA Henry in a battle of the 2 top teams in the Minneapolis City. No love lost there either.
- #3AAAA Maple Grove at #8AAAA Armstrong. Big game for Armstrong in the NW Suburban - West where they are 2 back.
- Totino-Grace at #5AAAA Osseo
- Lakeville North at Apple Valley. North 1 game back in the South Suburban after losing to Shakopee on Friday.
- New Life at Heritage in a matchup of MCAA division leaders.
- St. Louis Park at Benilde-St. Margaret's. Rivalry game with both teams 1 game back in the Metro West.
- #1AAA De La Salle at Brooklyn Center in the 1st of 2 tough ones this week for Brooklyn Center
Friday's schedule doesn't disappoint
- Tartan at N. St. Paul. District rivals and both are undefeated in the Metro East.
- #1AAAA Apple Valley at Shakopee. Shakopee also 1 game back. With 2 wins this week, Apple Valley would be 2 games clear in the top spot.
- #5AAAA Osseo at #3AAAA Maple Grove. Big rivalry game here and both are undefeated in the Northwest Suburban -West.
- Community of Peace at Hope Academy. This is a possible EMAC title game preview. Both undefeated in league play so far.
- Totino-Grace at #10AAAA Elk River. Elk River keeping pace with Champlin Park on top of the NW Suburban - North.
- Cooper at St. Louis Park. Cooper leads Metro West currently. This starts a tough 5 game stretch for Cooper where they play the other 4 league contenders and Hopkins.
The event of note Saturday is the Midwest Players Classic down in La Crosse, WI. Its the 6th annual edition and its the deepest schedule they've ever had with 6 solid boys games.
- #1AA St. Croix Lutheran takes on Waverly-Shell Rock (IA) and UNI commit Austin Phyfe. Great test for UMD commit Trenton Krueger there. Crusaders have a battle with Brooklyn Center the night before and then the early tip after the long trip Saturday morning.
- Then #2AA Caledonia and #5A Rushford-Peterson take the court for the next 2 games against Wisconsin opponents. Rushford-Peterson has a tough test against #7AA St. Charles the night before.
- #3AAAA Maple Grove takes on #6 D1 Milwaukee Riverside. These teams had a chance to see each other play at the Timberwolves Shootout. Tough turnaround for Maple Grove after the rivalry game with Osseo the night before.
- #4AAAA Champlin Park takes on #1 D1 Stevens Point (defending WI state champ with Marquette commit Sam Hauser and UWGB commit Trev Anderson). McKinley Wright vs Trev Anderson is an outstanding matchup.
- The day ends with #1 D2 Kaukauna and high-major PG Jordan McCabe taking on #2 D2 La Crosse Central and Wisconsin commit Kobe King.